Get Connected

Law Offices of Rebecca Gonzalez, P.C.
Law Offices of Rebecca Gonzalez, P.C.

Call Today For Fast Initial Consultation

A Tradition Of Service.
A History Of Success.

Exceptional Representation In
Family Law Matters

Payment plans are available after the initial retainer is paid.

Rebecca Gonzalez

How to enforce a visitation order in Texas

Child custody arrangements are legally binding agreements that determine your rights and responsibilities regarding the care and upbringing of your child. In Texas, visitation orders are also commonly called possession orders.

It is important for you to understand how to enforce these orders if your co-parent fails to comply.

Understanding the visitation order

To begin, ensure you fully understand the specifics of the court-issued visitation order. This document outlines your legal rights regarding when and how you can spend time with your child. If the other parent is not following the arrangement, start by reviewing the order to confirm any non-compliance.

Keeping detailed records

If visitation issues occur, maintain detailed records of all missed visits. Note the dates, times and any exchanges with the other parent about the visitation. These details can be important if you need to take further action.

Seeking enforcement through the court

If you cannot resolve the issue directly, the next step is to file a motion to enforce the visitation order in the county where the court issued the original one. The court will then set a date for a hearing where both parents can present their cases.

Attending the enforcement hearing

During the enforcement hearing, the judge will listen to both parents and then review the evidence. If the judge finds that a violation of the visitation order has occurred, they may issue additional orders to ensure future compliance. These measures can include arranging for makeup visits, modifying the existing schedule, or implementing other actions if needed.

By following these steps, you can act to enforce a visitation order, ensuring you maintain your legal rights to spend time with your child.

Help Begins With An Initial Consultation