Get Connected

Law Offices of Rebecca Gonzalez, P.C.
Law Offices of Rebecca Gonzalez, P.C.

Call Today For Fast Initial Consultation

A Tradition Of Service.
A History Of Success.

Exceptional Representation In
Family Law Matters

Payment plans are available after the initial retainer is paid.

Rebecca Gonzalez

What Rights Do Grandparents Have In Texas?

In certain circumstances, grandparents in Texas may obtain special rights regarding visitation with their grandchildren following a divorce. If you can demonstrate that you are an integral part of the child’s well-being and have developed emotional ties, the courts may provide for timesharing with the child.

Custody And Guardianship Lawyer For Grandparents

The courts also recognize that many grandparents become the primary caregiver when the child’s biological parent no longer has the capacity to ensure the health and welfare of the child. This area of the law is complex and requires grandparents to have been acting as the primary caregiver with possession of the grandchild for six months or more without having three months pass without possession of the child.

In the alternative, a biological parent may join his or her parents as parties in a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship to establish primary residence at the grandparent’s house, with biological parents given visitation orders. Grandparents have the legal avenue available to pursue a custody award or legal guardianship on a temporary or permanent basis, if they have standing.

If you are a grandparent in the San Antonio area and are concerned about protecting your rights and access to your grandchild, call me, attorney Rebecca Gonzalez. I have years of experience aggressively working to protect children’s best interests in divorce and custody matters, including helping grandparents remain involved.

Contact Us To Set Up Your Initial Consultation Today

Call my office in San Antonio, Texas, at 210-888-9836 or toll free at 800-823-6321 to schedule an opportunity to sit down together to discuss your situation and the best legal options. I can also be reached by email.

Help Begins With An Initial Consultation